Take a closer look...

August 27, 2011

Butterfly fly away


5 was really becoming significant in Dr.Shah’s life. 5 years after his retirement, he had moved in with his son, Atreya, 5 months ago and 5 days had gone by since Atrey had spoken even a word to him. He had now started missing even the well recognized lines that Atrey used to utter just for the sake of conversation, in the little time he could spare for his dad.  He willingly believed that work kept his son busy. Though Atrey’s wife shared an affable relationship him, his only solace was in his 8 year old grandson, Ekanth. He meant the world to him. Ekanth was his only companion who made him feel at home and part of the family. Both understood each other and were inseparable except for the time Ek went to school. Ek and Shah dada were like buddies. Best ones at that.

Shah dada was reminding Ek that his dads birthday was after 5 days and both of them should plan and do something special for him. Come Friday, Dr. Shah was hoping he could bond with his son after long by celebrating his birthday in the way Atrey best liked it. Dr. Shah went about the preparations and helped Ek make a card for his dad too. He could hardly wait.
On Thursday, around midnight, Shah dada and Ek sneaked towards Atrey’s room to surprise him with a cake that Dr. Shah had bought from Atrey’s favourite bakery. He himself preapred kheer and halwa that he knew his son loved. As they drew closer, Dr. Shah could hear noises that he knew could not be coming from anywhere else. Fury was in the air. While he was contemplating on whether he should go ahead and knock the door or just leave, Atrey yelled saying, “How the hell can I ask him to move out?”
Dr. Shah became numb hearing what he heard for the next few minutes. Dr. Shah pulled back Ek sharply when he tried to advance towards the door. He decided the better of surprising his son and found his way back to his room having got surprised in turn. Ek did not understand what was going on and kept quiet seeing Shah dada’s excitement wear off from his face. Shah dada put Ek to sleep and lay awake the whole night.

Next morning Ek came running with tears to Atrey since he could not find Shah dada. Atrey and his wife rushed to Shah dadas empty room to find a cake with blown out candles on the dresser. Right next to it was a letter. Atrey opened the letter with trembling hands and it read,

My dear Atrey,
Many more happy returns of the day my child. I wish you all success in your life, hoping and praying that all your wishes come true. God Bless!Remember your birthday when you were severely ill? You and I made the halwa the cake and did the icing with the kheer and placed candles on it? Later in the evening, I threw you a surprise party at your favourite bakery that people still recollect? I wanted you to relive that moment for this one too. But last night I figured that I could give a bigger gift. What’s even more special than giving someone what they want on their birthday?
I know that as a single parent, I could not have given you everything. But I tried to be everything for you. A father, mother, brother and more importantly, a friend. While at that, I am sorry if I made you feel that you were loved any less. You were, are and always will be the center of my world.
I know that off late I have been ill and have given a lot of trouble to you and Sakshi. I understand that anyone in your situation would have wanted the same. Until last night, I failed to realize how troublesome and selfish I have been. Despite being a working couple, I want you both to know how wonderfully you took care of me.  Before leaving I wanted to tell you how much indebted I am to you, Sakshi and Ek. You people made me realize what it was like to be in a family, surrounded by people who love you. It really was a surreal feeling and I will cherish each moment of it. Believe me, I never intended to be of any trouble to you, because you were a very good child and so is Ek. He is just like you, my child. While being with Ek, I never realized when I myself became a child. I understand it will be tough to handle two at a time and it’s only fair if I bowed out. It’s all part of getting old. If not now, you will understand when you are older. 
Remember, yesterday when you asked, I tried to give it all with a smile, today or tomorrow when Ek asks, give your best with a smile even if you have to go an extra mile!
I will miss you and this home. Especially, I will miss my only buddy, Ek. Give him my love and tell him he will stay blessed. I want your happiness, always. I love you.
Yours,
Dad    

Next to the dresser hung a brand new Raymond’s Suit with a card that read:
“Happy Birthday, my dear child. I know you will look handsome in this”
PS: Do not forget to use my cufflinks in the drawer. They are lucky. J

Sakshi noticed tear drops on the letter that Atrey held and at that very instant, the couple understood their mistake. They searched everywhere they could think of and called up Dr. Shahs dearest friend to find that he had moved to an old age home. Atrey, Sakshi and Ek rushed there and found that he had gone out for a walk. By the time he got back, Atrey arranged a welcome back party in the same way Dr. Shah had wanted him to relive his childhood. Everyone in the home was geared up and Dr.Shah had another big surprise of the day. The kind he would never forget. 

When Dr.Shah asked them why they were there, Atrey told him that Ek missed having a companion and they had come to adopt a child.    

9 comments:

Insidious said...

Wow. That was something simply brilliant! You've put across a beautiful message in a very simplistic way that hides eons of values and a golden meaning behind it. I LOVED the last line. Brilliant way to end it.

I'm in love with your writing and I hope I don't have to wait this long to see your next piece of art.

Cheers. :)

Varuna Punjabi said...

I dont know whether u noticed or not....while i was reading it, i had tears in my eyes....WOW... it amazes me, how u potray each and every emotions so nicely in words...(inreal life although u never reply when i say "i love you")... lol jokes apart....amazing story, great emotions and the most perfect end!!!!!

loved it totally!!!!

nagasaroja said...

Heart touching "Adopt a child", "I know you will look handsome in this","smile even if you have to go an extra mile!" and the name atreya perfectly suits for the context.U potrayed the emotions in a realistic way.... good work

Anagha nair said...

amazing...:)

Ashwin Bhatia said...

I had to wait for my tears to roll back in, to let goosebumps die away, to blink and lift the jaw that dropped !!

You didn't just 'write' that dear, you made us all 'LIVE' that !!! Its a gift very few possess. You made me feel the pain, the guilt and the joy all at once. It wasn't a story, I SAW IT UNFOLD right in front of me !

Yes, and the "adopt a child" was a masterpiece !! Bless you !!

VM Menon said...

@Insidious: Thank you.I will try to come up with something nice more often. :)

@Varuna: Aww...I sure din notice it and that serves as a real appreciation. Shukriya jaaneman!
(PS: I am still working on the real life part. :P)

@Saroja: Thank u so muj yaar. I am glad u liked it. :)

@Anagha Nair: Thank u :)

@Ashwin Sir: Sir!!! You constantly amaze me! How do you manage it? Your comment makes me want to pen down such emotions more often. Like you say, everything we should learn from, is all around us. Thank u!!

Sonali said...

kabi, jab aap kisi lekhak ki kalpana padhe, aur paani aapki aakhon ke kono me bhar aaye, tho shyad who sab kuch khe jaata hai............
I don't kno much abt writing, but yeah i definitely kno abt painting and art and the last sentences created one of the most beautiful paintings in front of my eyes....

VM Menon said...

@Sona: I a sure it was a really beautiful piece of painting.
Thank u :)

AMRIT said...

it was really nice and i pity myself for reading it so late...great work....